To guide young parents who are about to give their infants a natural baby shower, this article explains, through video tutorials, the steps of baby’s grooming by detailing the basic gestures and materials to be used.
When a mom or dad bathes their child, they should always keep two key words in mind: safety and well-being for optimal natural baby shower.
If, during the first baths with your child, you are clumsy and hesitant, after a few baths, you will quickly adopt the right gestures and perform them like natural automatisms. You will then be able to take full advantage of this special moment synonymous with pleasure for you and your little one.
There is not really an ideal time for baby’s bath, so you can adapt the bath time according to your free time. It’s not necessary to bathe a newborn every day, it’s even not recommended, especially for babies with sensitive skin or skin that dries out quickly. You can completely alternate bathing with a simple toilet (face, neck, buttocks, genitals).
Advices and recommendations :
- Never leave your child unattended and never let him go even for a short moment, because he could drown in seconds even in a few inches of water.
- Prepare in advance all the material you will need before and after the bath, keeping it close at hand so that you don’t let go of your baby.
- Set the room temperature between 21 and 24°C and avoid drafts.
- 4. Secure the tub by placing a non-slip mat under baby’s bottom and turn off the water taps tightly. Never put the child in the bath while the taps are open.
- 5. Fill the bath so that the infant is covered at shoulder height (about 10-15 cm of water).
- Check that the water temperature is between 36 and 38°C before putting the child in the bath. Always place one hand behind the nape of the neck to keep the baby’s head in line with the body, as a newborn baby is not able to hold its head alone.
- Always place one hand behind the nape of the neck to keep the baby’s head in line with the body, as a newborn baby is not able to hold its head alone.
- You can also use a bath seat to keep the baby in a good position and have your hands free.
Take the time to talk to and look at the baby and explain your actions to reassure him or her.
- Wash the baby’s skin and hair with a mild, unscented soap (ph neutral and alcohol-free). Check that the products you use are alcohol-free, without essential oil, dye, preservatives (phenoxyethanol, methylisothiazolinone, formaldehyde, etc.), paraben-free. Opt for organic products made from 100% ingredients of natural origin (short list preferably). A list of twenty-eight products to avoid was established in 2014 by the association 60 million consumers.
- Foaming bath oils and shower gels are to be avoided as they can cause skin reactions and urinary tract infections.
- If the baby’s buttocks and genitals are soiled, wash them before bathing. If they are visually clean, clean them in the bath last.
- Wash towels and bath towels several times a week to prevent the growth of germs and bacteria.
- Wrap your baby in a dry towel as soon as he gets out of the bath and dry him immediately to keep his body temperature down.
- Dry the folds of skin well by dabbing it with a dry terry towel to avoid skin irritation due to maceration.
natural baby shower
The shower material :
- Bath thermometer
- Clean clothes
- Cleansing product (body and hair)
- Changing mat
- Towel to put on the mattress
- Rolled bath exit near the mattress
The steps :
- Undress your baby and place him on the mattress lying on his back.
- Soap it starting with the upper body.
- Slip one arm under his head and hold his shoulder between thumb and forefinger.
- Place your right hand under his buttocks and present him lying over the bath.
- Immerse it gradually in the bath, keeping its head on your arm out of the water.
- Soap his hair and rinse it by running a stream of water over his head.
- Unroll the bath exit on the changing mattress.
- Gently place your baby on his back and cover him immediately.
- Dry the entire surface of the skin-buffering body with the bath outlet.
- Put a clean diaper on your baby and then dress him/her in clothes or pajamas.
You can wash your baby in :
- A traditional bathtub
- A baby bathtub
- A clean sink or washbasin
If you are bathing him/her with you, place a non-slip mat at the bottom of the bathtub.
Always check the temperature of the water by dipping your elbow or wrist in it.
To preserve baby’s skin, use :
- Gentle soap in small quantities, only for hands, buttocks and genitals.
- A cream based on zinc oxide to wash the buttocks.
- A moisturizing balm to nourish dry areas of the skin
Don’t forget to clean :
- Each eye, going from the inner corner to the outer corner.
- The outside and back of the ears (no cotton swabs in the ears).
- The folds of the neck, thighs and buttocks.
- The navel or the cord using cotton buds.
- The vulva from front to back if it is a girl, spreading the big lips apart.
- The penis and scrotum if it is a boy.
Important : for a save natural baby shower do not remove a child’s penis until the foreskin has separated from the glans by the age of three.